ProjectNyoka Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit)

+2
Zovesta
Akrona
6 posters

Go down

Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Empty Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit)

Post by Akrona Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:05 am

A quick peek around this site tells me that a lot of my favorite artists from dragoncave have migrated over here! which is great.

I'm a spriter, but I'm not really satisfied with my work yet. I'd love to get some critique from others, to help me figure out what I can do to improve.
Here are some sprites I've done:
Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) FlintdayArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) FlintnightcopycopyArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) DreampixelcopyArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) FiredrakecopyArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Bloodwing-spritecopyArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) BloodwinghathclingscopyArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) LeviathanArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) RedbruteArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Basilisk-copyArt, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Spritecopy-1

Again, I'm not very happy with them. A lot of them seem stiff (which is, i think, partly just bad sketching...) and I don't like the color/shading on them at all. The only one I like is the first one. If you have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, tips or things to try, I'd appreciate it greatly! Don't worry about hurting my feelings, as I'm not really attached to these anyway. Vague critique is also better than no critique, so please, go ahead.

Also, if you want me to sprite something for you, just ask! I also do non-sprite requests.
Akrona
Akrona
Sergeant
Sergeant

http://akrona.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Empty Re: Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit)

Post by Zovesta Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Your sprites are as beautiful as lovely. They remind me very heavily of LadyLyzar's and Jeru's. I love the harsh detail on your sprites, that's always something I've been aiming to do.

I would just adore seeing you sprite for this site. Very Happy

And that is my positive critique. X)
Zovesta
Zovesta
Sergeant
Sergeant

http://ozkumeti.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Empty Re: Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit)

Post by Rebsingh Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm

OHMYGOSH You're really good! Very Happy I love the first one, maybe you should request it here? o3o I also love the one on the second line (Green tropical thinger), it would be great for Mavi! And the third one is really nice also and could live in the Alpines of P1 wowowowowow If you aren't using those for anything else, pleasepleaseplease request them here!!

Last edited by Rebsingh on Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebsingh
Rebsingh
Admin
Admin

http://projectnyoka.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentSkieBlue Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Oh wow. You've got me impressed. I know that it sucks to go searching for critique and just get told how awesome it is, but quite frankly I find the vast majority of those stunning and feel like a newb telling a senior member to take off their capslock.

Though if you're concerned about shading, some dithering might help you--I'm looking at the red one when I say that. Other than that, maybe some of the necks and shoulders could be a little more defined. Some of them blend together. I'm digging, and that's all I can find.

Above all, don't lose your eye for detail. You're brilliant with it and it will get you farther than I can say.
SilentSkieBlue
SilentSkieBlue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Akrona Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone! You're all really sweet c: Jeru and LadyLyzar are people I look up to too!

As for putting these on the site, the first two are from dragoncave, and not my concept, so I'd have to get in contact with the guy who came up with the breed. The third one (the tan and blue wyrm) and the last two are original characters of mine, so I won't be submitting them. But all the other ones are up for grabs! I'll submit them a little later.

Dithering's something I've been meaning to practice! I'll try it. Which sprites do you think have the issue with the neck and shoulders?
Akrona
Akrona
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Zovesta Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:58 pm

The first, third, and second-to-last one all have rather blah necks in comparison to the rest of them, which is highly detailed. Very Happy
Zovesta
Zovesta
Sergeant
Sergeant

http://ozkumeti.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nine Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Art, Requests, and Spriting (seeking con. crit) Basilisk-copy

I really like this one; reminds me of a basilisk/cockatrice mix =D Two legged, serpentine lower body creatures are among my favorites.

You're looking for some crit, so... well, hm. I suppose I can try to help if that's alright.

The way the head is tilted against the neck definitely gives it a snake like pose, although I find it hard to make out the details of the lower jaw because it kind of blends into the neck. Maybe lifting its chin just a tad or adding a tiny bit more of the brighter green would make it pop out more. I love the colors though, the green is very fitting for a basilisk. The stripes are nicely subtle too; maybe the top of the shoulder could have a teeny stripe as well?
Is its tail going between its two legs? If so, ignore this! If not, perhaps making the far leg and foot more visible would help. I think placing the far foot a bit behind the first on the ground, toes slightly pushing off in step, could help make the creature look even more balanced.

You mentioned that this was an OC of yours, so I hope I haven't managed to be insulting =S I really do love cockatrice-like creatures, so this sprite made me happy.
Nine
Nine
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Akrona Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks! I see what you mean, and I'll mess with the sprite a little later. He is meant to be a basilisk! I'm glad that's obvious.
Akrona
Akrona
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Voxezi Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:03 am

Wow.
These are great [obviously].

I think, though, that you'd be able to add a new dimension to your sprites if you used different colors.
A few of the sprites have great palettes, but I think you should start playing with more subtle shades.
It'd really complement your current style.
Voxezi
Voxezi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down